Job Description Effective 7/01/2023
The Humans Services Alliance of Greater Prince William (The Alliance) is a 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, founded as a successor to the more than thirty year-old Prince William County Coalition for Human Services after a two-year process of community input and planning in response to the Prince William County Strategic Plan. Core funding is provided by the Prince William County Department of Social Services, though member dues, grant management
s, and other fundraising efforts. The Founding Board of Directors represent nonprofit and faith-based organizations, and community leaders from the eastern, central, and western greater Prince William area (Prince William County and the cities of Manassas and Manassas Park).
The Alliance will be the catalyst for greater partnerships and collaboration among its network of human service organizations, the faith community, other community organizations, and interested citizens to enhance the lives of the people they support.
Overview of Position
The Executive Director is the key management leader of The Alliance, responsible for leadership and oversight of the administration, programs, and strategic plan of the organization. Other key duties include fundraising, marketing, and community outreach. The position has up to three (depending on grants management) direct reports and directly to the Board of Directors.
- Board Governance: Works collaboratively with the volunteer Board to fulfill The Alliance’s mission.
- Leads The Alliance in a manner that supports and guides the mission as defined by the Board.
- Responsible for communicating effectively with the Board and providing, in a timely and accurate manner, all information necessary for the Board to function properly and make informed decisions. This includes being the
- Financial Performance and Viability: Creates the annual budget for Board approval and Develops resources sufficient to ensure the financial health of The Alliance.
- Responsible for ensuring the integrity, professionalism and adherence to rules and policy are followed by all Alliance team members.
- Responsible for the fiscal integrity and risk management of The Alliance, to include submission to the Board of a proposed annual budget and monthly financial statements that accurately reflect the financial condition.
- Responsible for fiscal management that generally anticipates operating within the approved budget, ensures maximum resource utilization, and maintenance of a positive financial position. Generates reports and manages funds, but they also process payments when necessary.
- Responsible for fundraising and developing other resources necessary to support The Alliance.
- Mission and Strategy: Works with the Board and staff to ensure that the mission is fulfilled by developing key programs and partnerships that arise out of the organization’s strategic plans; as well as the ability to implement them to ensure that The Alliance can successfully fulfill its mission into the future.
- Responsible for the enhancement of The Alliance’s image by being active and visible in the community and by working collaboratively with other professional, civic and private organizations.
- Responsible for member relations/engagement and recruiting for new members
- Organizational Operations: Oversees and implements appropriate resources to ensure that the operations of The Alliance are appropriate and effective for The Alliance.
- Responsible for the hiring and retention of competent, qualified staff.
- Responsible for signing notes, agreements, and other instruments made and entered into and on behalf of The Alliance, as delegated by the Board.
- Establishing employment and administrative policies and procedures for all functions and for the day-to-day operation of The Alliance.
- Overseeing robust marketing and communication efforts, to include website, social media and databases.
- Reviewing and approving contracts for services, as delegated by the Board.
- Other duties as assigned by the Board.
- Bachelors’ degree as a requirement or equivalent extensive work experience.
- Transparent and high integrity leadership
- Ability to work independently, making sound decisions while showing a solid understanding of ethical and moral behavior.
- Ability to perform timely in terms of budget and management skills, including budget preparation, analysis, decision making and reporting.
- Strong organizational skills, including planning, delegating, program development and task facilitation.
- Ability to convey a vision of The Alliance’s strategic future to staff, the Board, volunteers and donors.
- Knowledge of fundraising strategies and donor relations unique to the nonprofit sector.
- Skills to collaborate with and motivate Board members and other volunteers.
- Strong written and oral communication skills
- Ability to interface and engage diverse volunteer and donor groups
- Demonstrated ability to oversee and collaborate with staff.
- Strong public speaking ability
- Proficiency in the use of standard office suite and management of website, social media and data
- Physical/environmental factors – include ADA requirement’s ability to travel locally.
- Performance and Professionalism - Maintains professional presence when representing The Alliance. Exhibits degree of professionalism consistent with standards in performance, behavior, and appearance (may need to describe clear expectations: Ethics, compliance, confidentiality.).
*Notation of: The Alliance Reserves the right to modify, interpret, or apply this job description, as it desires. This job description in no way implies that these are the only duties, including essential duties, to be performed by the employee occupying this position. This job description is not an employment contract, implied or otherwise. The employment relationship remains "at-will". The job requirements may be changed to fulfill any obligation(s) to reasonably accommodate qualified individuals with disabilities.
Preferred Qualifications and Experience
- Nonprofit experience
- Knowledge of local community
- Leading a multi-functional team
- Bi-lingual in English and Spanish
- Progressive Management: 3 years (Preferred)
- Social Media Management: 1 year (Preferred)
- Public Speaking: 1 year (Preferred)
- Fundraising: 1 year (Preferred)
- Budget Development & Management: 1 year (Preferred)
Education: Bachelor's (Preferred)
Job Type: Full-time / Exempt Salary: $65,000 to $80,000 /year
Job Type : Full-Time
Education Level : Bachelors Degree
Experience Level : Executive
Job Function : Administrative